Connect to Elders – 10 Ideas
The Jewish Pavilion staff and volunteers operate like a nursing home on wheels bringing the Jewish community to seniors in long term care. We provide one-on-one visitation as well as holiday and social programs for people of all faiths.
Ideas for Connecting with Seniors…
- Read religious or inspirational articles, magazines or books.
- Read letters from family and friends.
- Bring messages from family and friends recorded on cassette tape.
- Bring a video taped greeting from family and friends.
- Help your older adult write or type letters or send greeting cards.
- Find a pen pal and help your older adult correspond with this new friend.
- Create a poster or mobile from pictures cut from magazines.
- Bring items related to the season or upcoming holiday to enjoy and talk about.
- Have an indoor picnic with your older adult’s favorite picnic food.
- Enjoy a cup of a favorite beverage that you’ve brought along in your thermos.
From Nancy Ludin, Executive Director, Jewish Pavilion