Interviewing Our Elders – Ten questions to start with
Potential interview questions for gathering histories of older adults:
- What is your name? Why did your parents select this name for you? Did you have a nickname?
- When and where were you born?
- How did your family come to live there?
- What was your life like as a child (rural, city), what kind of games did you play?
- What was your favorite toy and why?
- What was your favorite thing to do for fun (movies, beach, etc.)?
- What was school like for you as a child? What subjects did you like best/least? Where did you attend grade school? High school? College?
- Who were your childhood heroes?
- What were your favorite songs and music?
- Did you have any pets? If so, what kind and what were their names?
From Nancy Ludin, Executive Director, Jewish Pavilion